The history of Tullibardine as a location for brewing and distilling is one of the oldest in Scotland, dating back to the 15th Century. Our story begins in 1488, when a young King James, IV of Scotland, stopped by before his coronation to purchase beer from the local brewery. This brewery was known for producing fine beer as a result of the local water source. By 1503, the King had granted them a Royal Charter.
It was in 1947 that William Delmé-Evans began converting this original brewery into the Tullibardine Distillery. Upon testing the water from the nearby springs, Delmé-Evans knew he had found the perfect location for distilling whisky.
The water comes from the surrounding Ochil Hills, drawn from the Danny Burn. Formed here over 400 million years ago with layers of basalt and red sandstone, these hills are well known for the gold that was once mined from them. The clear water that runs through them will have taken 15 years to reach the Danny Burn. In 1979, Highland Spring began to bottle this same water.